Hardcore Kids is entering its 4th year! We are a cycling program focused on the development and application of cycling skills for children aged 7 – 15 riding their mountain bikes on the Edmonton river valley trails and the Devon Bike Park. This includes the basic skills of balance, gear shifting, braking, climbing, descending and cornering and basic mechanical skills. Advanced skills such as wheel lifts, bunny hop, manual, wheelie drop, jumps, etc are then introduced depending on ability and interest. These skills are practiced to gain confidence and then progressively applied on the technical and single track trails in the river valley. A program goal is to have all graduates able to comfortably ride any trail in the Edmonton River Valley.
Racing and the development of racing tactics and race training (i.e., intervals, sprints, etc.) is not a focus of the program. Track, Road, Cyclocross and BMX riding/racing are not covered by the program.
Three classes are offered. The first is for beginner cyclists aged 7 – 9 years. The second class is for riders aged 10 -12 with some riding experience. The third class is for riders 12 – 15 who are relatively experienced riders.
Classes are capped at 10 (6 for the youngest group) to ensure safety and provide ample opportunity for coaching. Classes will run Saturday mornings, meeting at the Edmonton Huskies clubhouse parking lot. Each class will be approximately 2.5hr long running from April 25 through June 27 (excluding May long weekend). The cost is $175 to cover ABA insurance, club membership and program expenses and development. Parents are welcome to join us. Please indicate “Child and Parent” in the program fee box. The extra $35 is to cover insurance requirements.
- Must wear a helmet
- Class 1 must have a multi-geared mountain bike with wheels sized 20 inches or larger
- Classes 2 and 3 must have a multi-geared mountain bike with wheels sized 24 inches or larger (standard adult mountain bike wheels are 26 – 29 inches)
- Gloves, weather appropriate clothes, a water bottle, snacks, and a small pack to carry these items are recommended
The program is led by Kim Liss. Qualifications include:
- Six years experience coaching and leadership of children’s cycling development programs including starting Hardcore Kids in 2012
- Attended Summer Gravity Camp (SGC) in Whistler (2014)
- Certified by Endless Biking as a Level 2 Mountain Bike Instructor (2013)
- Certified Standard First Aid – Level C CPR and AED (2013)
- Completed the “Intro to Coaching Cycling Skills” 2 day clinic offered by the ABA in April 2009
- Riding highlights in 2014 include trips to Fernie, Golden, Revelstoke, Nelson and Whistler
- Life time rider and occasional recreational racer including solo 24 Hours of Adrenalin, cross Europe tours and regular trips to western Canadian MTB riding destinations
Gord Brenner will be the lead coach for the youngest group of riders. Gord was an active volunteer with Hardcore Kids in 2014, is a ride leader with the Hardcore Club adult rides and coaches other children’s athletics including soccer.
- The cost is $175 per child to cover ABA insurance, club membership and program expenses and development.
- Parents are welcome to participate. Regulations require any parent also have ABA insurance (additional $35).
See Map below
Capped at 10 to ensure a quality experience for all children participating.
Parent helpers are very helpful in running a safe and fun class. If you are interested in joining your child for the morning, please let the program coach know.
The Coach reserves the right to move a child from one group to another based on their skill level compared to the group
Additional Classes and Private Instruction:
Additional small group sessions or private lessons are available on request. Please contact Kim Liss to discuss details, scheduling and cost.