Hardcore Kids 2013
Hardcore Kids is a cycling program focused on the development and application of bike riding skills for children aged 8-12 riding their mountain bikes on the Edmonton river valley trails. This includes the basic skills of balance, gear shifting, braking, climbing, descending and cornering and basic mechanical skills. Advanced skills such as bunny hop, manual, wheelie drop, etc would then be introduced depending on the ability and interest of the group. These skills would be practiced to gain a level of confidence and then progressively applied on the technical and single track trails in the river valley. A program goal is to have all “graduates” able to comfortably ride all sections of the Canada Cup race course, develop a love of cycling, and gain some familiarity with the mountain bike trails in Edmonton.
Racing, the development of racing tactics and race training (i.e., intervals, sprints, etc.) is not a focus of the program. Track, RR and BMX riding/racing are not covered by the program.
Two classes are offered. One for kids aged 8-10 and second class for ages 11-13. Classes are capped at 10 to ensure safety and provide ample opportunity for coaching. Classes will run Saturday mornings, meeting at the Edmonton Huskies clubhouse parking lot. Each class will be approximately 2.5hr long running from April 27 through June 29 (excluding May long weekend). The cost is $150 to cover ABA insurance, club membership and program expenses and development.
The program is led by Kim Liss. Qualifications include:
- Four years experience coaching and leadership of children’s cycling development programs
- Coach for Hardcore Kids program last year (2012)
- Development and implementation of the program component at Juventus Sprockids 2009 - 2011 (3 years). Another individual was responsible for the administrative component of the program.
- Life time rider and occasional recreational racer including solo 24 Hours of Adrenalin, cross Europe tours and trips to MTB destinations such as Rossland, Golden, Squamish, North Shore, Moab, Sedona and several BC bike parks.
- Completed the “Intro to Coaching Cycling Skills” 2 day clinic offered by the ABA in April 2009.
- Scheduled to complete a St. John’s Emergency First Aid 2-day course prior to April 27, 2013.
- Scheduled to attend Endless Biking Level 1 & 2 MTB Instructor Training in Fernie May 13 -17, 2013 (http://www.endlessbiking.com/services.html#instructor)
Here is what you need to know:
- The cost is $150 to cover ABA insurance, club membership and program expenses and development.
Registration and Payment:
- Sign your child up through our online signup: The cost is $150. Click Here for Registration
- 8-13 years as of December 31, 2013
- Must have a helmet.
- Must have a multi-geared mountain bike with wheels sized 24 inches or larger (standard adult mountain bike wheels are 26”).
- Gloves, weather appropriate clothes, a water bottle, snacks, and a small pack to carry these items are recommended.
- Saturday mornings, 0930 – 1200, April 27 – June 29 (no class on May long weekend)
- Class 1: ages 8 – 10, 0830 – 1100
- Class 2: ages 11 – 13; 11 – 1330
- Parking lot by Edmonton Huskies clubhouse by the Kinsmen Sports Centre. Follow the road past the Kinsmen Field House to the right, drive along the river's edge until you are almost under the High Level Bridge. On your left, by the tennis courts, is the Huskies clubhouse.
- Capped at 10 to ensure a quality experience for all children participating.
- Parent helpers are very helpful in running a safe and fun class. If you are interested in joining your child for the morning, please let the program coach know.
Coach and Key Contact:
- Please contact Kim Liss by email at email@example.com or telephone at 780.907.2473 with any enquiries or questions.